Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Summer Squash, It's What's for Dinner

Huz and I divvy up the chores around here, seeing how we're egalitarian and all. Cooking dinner is no exception. He cooks Mondays, Fridays and Sundays and I get Wednesdays and Saturdays. (You notice he gets one more night than me? Well, I work full-time and even though he's a busy doctoral student, he's got a more flexible schedule and he's MUCH better at cooking than me anyway, so I say go for it!)

Last week I made a delicious squash gratin that I got from 101cookbooks.com. I never got around to photographing it, but rest assured it looked just as good as hers (and tasted great too, although next time I'll probably halve the amount of butter since it was localized to the bread crumbs on top and was a bit much).

Tonight's dinner calls for more summer squash, since that's what we're getting the most of these days from the CSA (damn that tomato blight! I miss my heirlooms). I wanted something more substantial than just squash, pastry and cheese (the likely combination, and one that my allergic toddler cannot partake of) so I found a recipe with chicken: Rosemary Chicken and Summer Squash Brochettes. I'll be firing up the charcoal grill so I hope it's a success (I am woefully unskilled at grilling, my friends). I'll let you know how it is and, if photo worthy, will share some visuals.

Speaking of grilling, the other night Huz made his first beer can chicken. It was delicious, as were the grilled green beans and the bacon-wrapped onions (sweet and savory is always a winner).

beer can chicken

1 comment:

  1. If you want to do something totally unhealthy and totally delicious, slice summer squash, egg and flour it, and deep fry it. It's a bit of work but worth it!

    Oh, and summer squash enchiladas are good too.

    ReplyDelete