Monday, June 15, 2009

CSA Week Two

DSC_0005

DSC_0014

DSC_0018

In the basket:

leek
2 heads of lettuce
swiss chard
celery
spearmint
parsley
beets
beet greens
rhubarb
green onions
garlic
(alas, no eggs or bread this week)

For dinner (thanks to Huz):

Mixed Greens with Crispy Bacon, Goat Cheese and Fried Egg

He also made 2 lovely rounds of black walnut bread. Delicious.

DSC_0019

For an after dinner beverage, I made myself a rhubarb soda spiked with tequila, which I derived from here. Unfortunately, the rhubarb we get here in Tennessee isn't red - it's green - hence the difference between my drink photo and the one on the other site.

3/4 cups rhubarb, chopped
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cups water
club soda
Ice

1. Place rhubarb, sugar, and 1½ cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes.
2. Turn off the heat and allow to cool. Strain syrup into a large jar*.
3. To make each soda, measure ¼ cup rhubarb syrup into a glass. Add enough sparkling water to fill the glass ⅔ full. Stir to mix, then add ice.**

*This is where I got smart. I used the leftover chunks of rhubarb (that were sweetened by the syrup-making process) and slightly smashed them into a lovely, warm compote. I'm going to serve it over butter pecan ice cream I just bought from a local ice creamery (I'm going to make ice cream this week but I can't wait to try this rhubarb compote!).

**This is also where I got smart and added a splash of tequila to the drink. Hiccup!

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful! I really don't think you can go wrong with rhubarb and tequila!

    ReplyDelete